A Message Board, Guestbook, or Poll hosted for your website.
Elmer Keith Forums

Register Login New Posts

Elmer Keith Memorial Shoot > Forums > Open Topic > Packin pistol

Username:  
Password:  

Author Comment

Jamesfromjersey

Wildcat

03/22/09 at 03:50 PMReply with quote#1

We all know that Mr. Keith always had his 4" S&W 44 on his side. I would like to know what the members carry when there out walkin the woods....My most used packin pistol is a S&W model 25 Mtn. Gun loaded with 280gr SWC-GC bullets traveling just below
1000FPS.

Wildcat

03/22/09 at 04:57 PMReply with quote#2

When I am hunting I usually carry one of my 44 specials the barrel length vary from 4" to 5 1/2" I sometimes carry a 510 Reeder, 45 colt, 44 magnum. I have other guns with longer barrels and different calibers but I don't carry them. One of the nicest shooting guns I have is a stock Smith from the 80's with I believe a 4" barrel in 45 long colt, its accurate and fits like a glove. I am no longer a handgun hunter haven't been for the last 30 years I carry it for rattle and cotton mouth snakes down in the South Carolina swamps, hogs if I get a shot  within 50 yards and if necessary as a finish off gun if I have to track up a wounded deer or hog. My loads with the 50 caliber down thru the 44s are in the 900 fps I figure at close range that is plenty adequate.

Len

http://www.safarisafrica-zimbabwe.com
fowler
Tenderfoot

03/22/09 at 07:08 PMReply with quote#3

Really depends on what I am doing when in the woods. I carry a 1911 daily for self defense and it really makes a fine field gun as well. If the possibility of small game is there a 32mag Single Six is a gun I carry a lot. If I am working horses, or just bumming around the woods then a 44sp or a 45 colt gets the call most often. If I am hunting a 45 colt or a 475 Linebaugh gets the nod. It seems that I end up looking for reasons to carry a lot of my guns because I feel like they all need to get a workout every now and then and they overlap a lot....
Creeker
Wildcat

03/25/09 at 08:25 AMReply with quote#4

Mostly it's a 4" M-29. I like the 429421 & 20 grs. of 2400. It's the bottom sixgun..........Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
snw41

Straight Shooter

03/25/09 at 11:17 PMReply with quote#5

My first handgun purchase when I was old enough to buy my own and not borrow them from my old man was a S&W 4" 44 Magnum.  I carried it all the time as it was very versatile and  I've shot deer, hogs, coyotes and various types of small critters with it, but nothing bigger.  My load is the Keith 255 SWC @ 1000 fps.  I know exactly where this load hits out to 100 yds and then can work my way up beyond that range and best of all you can shoot that load in the field without ear plugs if necessary.  I think my best 1 shot kill with that 44 was a coyote at a little over a hundred yards.  I still have the gun and leave it loaded and holstered in the safe as a go to gun. 

I have since added quite a few handguns to the collection and have a lot of confidence in a S&W M65 3" 357 mag when I dont expect to encounter anything more than 2 legged critters and deer size game down.  This gun is so much lighter and easy to pack and yet still has enough power to do most jobs.  For this reason if going out in the field I usually pack it and yes I have killed a few deer with a 357 and never really had much of a problem. 

Let's face it people, humans kill more people a year than all the animals in the world combined so I plan accordingly.  I hate all this bear gun talk when what people really should recognize is that people are the biggest threats.  My best advice to this is ALWAYS have a gun and be prepared to use it as you can never predict when you will need it.  When my wife first met me she could not believe how often I carried a gun, to church, in the mall, etc....  Now she is use to it and for this everyday carry I have settled on a S&W 337 Scandium J frame snubbie loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSW at 1000 fps.  I have pretty much decided that if I were limited to one handgun I would pick the little scandium in 357 simply because it is convienient to carry, never a burden to pack no matter what clothing you are wearing and for these reaons I ALWAYS carry it and this is the most important factor.  In the summer I  wear cargo shorts and I will guarantee you that I always have the pistol in a cargo pocket and I never notice it.  I'm going on three years with this gun and I prefer the revolver because because if any of you have packed one much in a pocket or on the ankle you will find that they collect a lot of LINT and I would not trust an automatic under these circumstances.

A philosophy I live by is the first rule in a gunfight is to have a GUN!!!

Best Regards,

Dean

albroswift

03/26/09 at 08:14 AMReply with quote#6

Around town, an original Kimber Ultra Carry .45ACP in a Don Hume IWB

In the woods, the trusty Ruger 45 colt +++++P in a (I know, I know, Sorry!) custom Bladetech Drop

03/28/09 at 09:40 AMReply with quote#7

Hi, When I'm hunting I have my S.S. 5 1/2 " Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum loaded with factory 240 gr. JHP Federal Redbox. I don't reload & this has been a most accurate load in my gun.
If I'm just running around in heavier clothes I have my S&W Airweight S.S. J-Frame M-642 .38 Spl. +P rated loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. JHP +P .38 Spl's.
If its warmer outside and I have a t-shirt and jeans or shorts on I have my...don't laugh, my Colt Junior .25 Auto, I said don't laugh, with Federal FMJ 50 grainer's. One in the chamber with the hammer on half cocked. I know its alittle to much gun for society these days, but its better than being unarmed !
Chris
albroswift

03/28/09 at 10:39 AMReply with quote#8

"...why do I carry a 45? Cuz, ma'am, they don't make a 46..."
"...no, ma'am, if I was expecting trouble, I'd have my double barrel as well..."
--Credited to an old Ranger

Straight Shooter

03/28/09 at 08:06 PMReply with quote#9

Here's my current favorite, 45 LC/45 ACP 4 5/8" with an EL Paso Saddlery Patton #5 holster

Creeker
Wildcat

03/29/09 at 06:17 AMReply with quote#10

Paladin, I surely like your sixgun.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
Denny
Straight Shooter

03/31/09 at 10:07 AMReply with quote#11

I have several handguns to chose but like my 686/696 44 special with a 250 KSWC and 7.5 of Unique.

I always wanted a 3" 696 but the price got crazy and I had an old 686, brought a barrle, cylinder and 5 shot hand and built my own (had it done) it is one fine little pistol

04/08/09 at 07:57 PMReply with quote#12

I'll have to agree with snw41 on a choice for day in day out carrying.  Mine is a five shot .357 too.  I really like .41s, .44s, and .45 Colts but carry them only on special occasions in the woods.  Reason, too large for constant carry.  The little five hole SP 101 is compact enough yet has enough weight and mass to be manageable with a stout load.  I've used Lyman's #358156 mold for years as my standard .357 bullet.  Cast 50/50 wheel weights/linotype over a decent charge of H110 it chronographs just over 1225 fps from the 3" barrel.  It's on at 20 yards with this load and is very accurate. It's taken the heads off of many grouse.   

05/09/09 at 01:01 AMReply with quote#13

My house is in the head of a holler in the middle of no where , so I pretty much live in the woods.
We have a few hundred acres and I can walk out the door and be in game or two legged varmints for about a mile in any direction.
When I put on my pants I put on my M-57 Mtn. Gun , .41 mag. , with a case full of W-296 under a Keith bullet.
If I have to go to Nashville or God forbid Memphis I carry my Kimber series 70 style 1911 and an S&W 340 M&P.  
Southern Man
NO DAMN MAN KILS ME AND LIVES
" General" Nathan Bedford Forrest
Creeker
Wildcat

05/09/09 at 05:32 AMReply with quote#14

Being from a holler myself I can relate to your choice Southernman. The 41 is great. Which mould for your Keith?

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
Southernman
Wildcat

05/09/09 at 09:07 AMReply with quote#15

Creeker
I use an RCBS some  , which is more of a SWC than a Keith.
I also have LBT.
One is LBT's 235 grn. WNFP.
My Smith likes it but my Marlin 1894 FG is not that crazy about it.

Southern Man
P.S.
Did you ever get any alloy from Robert

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Page 1 of 2   1  |  2 > 

Bookmarks  
Digg Diggdel.icio.us del.icio.usStumbleUpon StumbleUponGoogle Google