A Message Board, Guestbook, or Poll hosted for your website.

View Single Post Thread: Packin pistol

Author Comment

snw41

Straight Shooter

03/25/09 at 11:17 PMReply with quote#5

My first handgun purchase when I was old enough to buy my own and not borrow them from my old man was a S&W 4" 44 Magnum.  I carried it all the time as it was very versatile and  I've shot deer, hogs, coyotes and various types of small critters with it, but nothing bigger.  My load is the Keith 255 SWC @ 1000 fps.  I know exactly where this load hits out to 100 yds and then can work my way up beyond that range and best of all you can shoot that load in the field without ear plugs if necessary.  I think my best 1 shot kill with that 44 was a coyote at a little over a hundred yards.  I still have the gun and leave it loaded and holstered in the safe as a go to gun. 

I have since added quite a few handguns to the collection and have a lot of confidence in a S&W M65 3" 357 mag when I dont expect to encounter anything more than 2 legged critters and deer size game down.  This gun is so much lighter and easy to pack and yet still has enough power to do most jobs.  For this reason if going out in the field I usually pack it and yes I have killed a few deer with a 357 and never really had much of a problem. 

Let's face it people, humans kill more people a year than all the animals in the world combined so I plan accordingly.  I hate all this bear gun talk when what people really should recognize is that people are the biggest threats.  My best advice to this is ALWAYS have a gun and be prepared to use it as you can never predict when you will need it.  When my wife first met me she could not believe how often I carried a gun, to church, in the mall, etc....  Now she is use to it and for this everyday carry I have settled on a S&W 337 Scandium J frame snubbie loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSW at 1000 fps.  I have pretty much decided that if I were limited to one handgun I would pick the little scandium in 357 simply because it is convienient to carry, never a burden to pack no matter what clothing you are wearing and for these reaons I ALWAYS carry it and this is the most important factor.  In the summer I  wear cargo shorts and I will guarantee you that I always have the pistol in a cargo pocket and I never notice it.  I'm going on three years with this gun and I prefer the revolver because because if any of you have packed one much in a pocket or on the ankle you will find that they collect a lot of LINT and I would not trust an automatic under these circumstances.

A philosophy I live by is the first rule in a gunfight is to have a GUN!!!

Best Regards,

Dean